No interactions found.
Info about Muse
Brand Name(s): Muse
Generic Name Alprostadil pellets
What is alprostadil urethral suppository?
ALPROSTADIL (MUSE®) is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, commonly called impotence. Alprostadil helps to create and maintain an erection. MUSE® is designed to deliver alprostadil across the urethra (the normal pathway for urine) and into the erectile tissue. Generic alprostadil is not yet available.
What should my health care professional know before I use alprostadil?
They need to know if you have, or have had any of these conditions:
How should I use this medicine?
Do not use more than twice in a 24-hour period.
1) Immediately before using, urinate and gently shake the penis several times to remove excess urine. A moist urethra makes using MUSE® easier. The medicated pellet has been specially developed to dissolve in the small quantity of urine that remains in the urethra after urination. Open pouch and remove the protective cap from the applicator stem. Visually inspect the MUSE® system to make sure the pellet is in the end of the stem. Save the pouch for discarding the applicator later.
2) While sitting or standing, whichever is more comfortable, take several seconds to gently and slowly stretch the penis upward to its full length, with gentle compression from top to bottom of the glans. This straightens and opens the urethra.
3) Slowly insert the MUSE® stem into the urethra up to the collar. If any discomfort or a pulling sensation, withdraw the applicator slightly and then gently reinsert.
4) Administer the suppository by gently and completely push down the button at the top of the applicator until it stops. This is to make sure that the medicated pellet is completely released. Hold the applicator in this position for 5 seconds. Then, gently rock the applicator from side to side in order to separate the medicated pellet from the applicator tip. If you apply too much pressure you may scratch the lining of the urethra and cause it to bleed.
5) Remove the applicator while keeping the penis upright. Without touching the stem of the applicator, look at the applicator tip to make sure the pellet is no longer in the applicator. If any medication is present, gently reinsert into the urethra and repeat steps 25.
7) After administration, hold the penis upright and stretch to its full length. Roll the penis firmly between the hands for at least 10 seconds. This is to make sure that the medication is adequately distributed along the walls of the urethra. If a burning sensation is felt, continue to roll the penis for an additional 3060 seconds or until the burning subsides. To increase blood flow to the penis and help you get an erection, you should sit, stand, or walk about for 10 minutes while the erection is developing.
8) Replace the cap on the MUSE® applicator, place the applicator in the opened foil pouch, fold, and discard as normal household waste.
What if I miss a dose?
This does not apply.
What drug(s) may interact with alprostadil?
Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
What side effects may I notice from using alprostadil?
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
Call your prescriber or health care professional immediately if you get this side effect.
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
What should I watch for while taking alprostadil?
Contact you physician immediately if the erection lasts longer than 4 hours or if it becomes painful. This may be a sign of priapism and must be treated immediately to prevent permanent damage.
If you experience dizziness or feel faint, this may be due to the lowering of your blood pressure. Lie down immediately and raise your legs. If symptoms persist call your prescriber or health care professional promptly.
Do not change your dose of your medication. Please call your prescriber or health care professional to determine if your dose needs to be reevaluated.
If you are not using a condom, your partner may experience mild vaginal itching or burning. If your partner is pregnant, you should use a condom during sexual intercourse because alprostadil has not been tested during human pregnancy.
Using MUSE® (alprostadil) does not protect you or your partner against HIV infection (the virus that causes AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases.
Where can I keep my medicine?
Store in a refrigerator. MUSE® may be kept at room temperature (less than 30 °C/86 °F) for up to 14 days before using. MUSE® should not be exposed to temperatures above 30 °C/86 °F because this will make it ineffective.
When traveling, store in a portable ice pack or cooler. Do not store in the trunk of a car or in baggage storage areas where the medication may be exposed to high temperatures.
(Note: The above information is not intended to replace the advice of your physician, pharmacist, or other healthcare professional. It is not meant to indicate that the use of the product is safe, appropriate, or effective for you.)